Monday, April 28, 2008

Financial Literacy

The last two weeks have been busy here at Choice Bank. I am happy today, on this cold spring day, to have the opportunity to reflect on Choice Bank's Financial Literacy Initiative.

There are astounding statistics out there such as Americans save, on average, less than 1% of their income! We have hears kids say, "How can my account be overdrawn? I still have checks in my check book!"

The topic of financial literacy is one that concerns everyone. It seems that many children don't have a handle on the concept of money. Here in the bank we have debated this topic to no end, asking how this has happened? We always end the discussion with an even bigger question. How do we make a change? How can we help teach children (and even some adults) the value of a dollar?

Our big start was to sponsor the Newspapers in Education Financial Literacy Tab. It was distributed in the Oshkosh Northwestern and in schools on April 17th. The day before its distribution we held a launch event for Oshkosh area teachers. At this event we found many teachers asking the same questions I mentioned earlier.

In our quest to broaden financial education in the community please let me know if you have any ideas! Teachers, thank you for all that you do! I am hoping that soon we will have an online opportunity for all of you to share your ideas and lesson plans. I'll let you know as soon as we do!

In the mean time...
If you have a blog post about Financial Education e-mail it to me at getsmart@choicebank.com and I'll add it to this discussion.

Ann

No comments: